Saturday, February 19, 2011

The king of combat fishing ! ! !

Heaven knows that I love to fish and my favorite type of fishing is Salmon fishing, and the best I have ever seen is on Alaska's Kenai River. One of my favorite spots is the confluence of the Moose and Kenai Rivers. We are of course talking about combat fishing when the salmon runs are hot and the spot is accessible by road.

I had this Moose / Kenai place "doped out". Because I lived there I was able to see this water in the winter when it was low and figure out where the fish would be when the water is up in the summer.

Just off shore in the main river is a large rock that salmon pile up behind, it is unseen when the water is up. In the picture below I am standing on "the secret rock". When you line up the secret rock with a particular pine tree on the far shore the "big rock" is right in line.


If you cast too far upstream your fly (weighted-spinning tackle) would either snag on the rock, or be swept out of the sweet spot behind the rock.

If you cast too far down stream your fly would never make it into the hole. There was only about a four foot window you had to hit, and the only good place to hit it from, was the "secret rock".

I could hook up with a Salmon on almost every cast when they were in the river. People were amazed thinking I was using some secret flys, I even sold a few thousand of them.

Click to enlarge. 

Look in the center of the picture, the guy up to his butt in 45 degree water is "ol' Bay Bob" the guy beside me in the hat is my old Australian buddy Leonard.

When I got tired of catching them, I would "hold court". I would tell the guy to my right "let me see if I can hook one with your rod" I would promptly hook one, hand the rod back to him and he would wander off to the right to fight his fish in calmer water, the next guy would step up hand me his rod, and in short order he was "hooked up too".

Really miss the old place.

No comments:

Post a Comment